Andy and I set off with a light NE breeze from Mooloolaba. Day 1 was excellent making very good time. In the light conditions we motor sailed for the first 24 hours until the motor stopped. Symptomatic of dirty fuel, I tried to clear the blockage but thought it was in the injectors. Planned to stop in Coffs and had a mechanic lined up to meet us, however later that night, a loud bang and two shrouds had snapped. Although conditions were less than 15 knots, we couldn’t risk sailing so furled both sails. Drifting toward land, I called for a tow and was picked up by Marine Rescue Yamba at 2am. Many thanks to those volunteers who left their warm beds to come and get us.
Two weeks later, all new rigging and the fuel tank removed, cleaned and replaced we resume. The story doesn’t stop there though. Auto pilot gave out so hand steering for the last couple of days. Located the problem to a loose connection of the harness plug. Unfortunately due to its location decided to leave that one. Then 2am engine started to make a loud hissing/ticking noise. Vapour escaping from number one injector and later in Pt Stephens found to be a blown copper gasket. fixed and on our way again finally made it to Woolongong and delivered an “almost new boat”